If you have access to some red cabbage and a few household solutions, you have what it takes to prepare the cabbage juice indicator shown in both Tyler DeWitt’s “magic trick” and Mr. Swart’s Week 36 introduction video. Either way, earn up to 40 bonus points in the lab portion of your grade by documenting your efforts to:
- Prepare red cabbage indicator
- Observe after adding baking soda to the indicator
- Observe after adding an acid to the indicator
- Observe after adding a base to the indicator
- Observe after adding an acid to the indicator, followed by baking soda
- Observe after adding a base to the indicator, followed by baking soda
To earn the full bonus credit, document all of your work as a lab report and share it with Mr. Swart at firstname.lastname@example.org. Before you begin, review the Week 34-35 bonus credit lab report post and recall what happens when you mix baking soda and vinegar (an acid) – it gets messy! That post includes videos, lab report requirements, and lab report templates you are welcome to use as appropriate. Have fun!
Return to Week 37 – Acids and Bases and continue working.