Looking to earn some bonus credit and boost your grade? You’ve come to the right place! Each week, you will have the opportunity to earn bonus credit for completing extra learning about science.
This week’s bonus credit opportunity is called…Science in the News! With the current COVID-19 outbreak dominating the news right now, science articles are making headlines daily. To earn +10 bonus credit in the assignment category:
- Locate a scientifically credible science article. Not sure how to tell? Click here to visit the University of Washington Libraries guide.
- Read the article carefully. Look up words you aren’t sure about.
- Open the Week 30 – Bonus Credit Opportunity Google Form and enter the following information:
- First Name / Last Name / Class Period
- Title of the article
- Link to the article (copy the web address and paste it into the field)
- Summary of the article (in your own words, what are the main ideas of the article?)
- Does it pass the CRAAP test? If yes, it is scientifically credible. If no, pick a new article and start over!
- Currency: Timeliness of the information
- Relevance: Importance of the information for your needs
- Authority: Source of the information
- Accuracy: Truthfulness and correctness of the information
- Purpose: Reason the information exists
- Question: What kind of article should I be looking for? Answer: You may select any scientifically credible article that is interesting to you.
- Question: Where is a good place to start looking for science articles? Answer: There are lots of great websites out there. National Geographic, Discover Magazine, and Smithsonian Magazine all have some great articles, many of which are free.
- Question: How do I know if something is scientifically credible? What does scientifically credible mean? Answer: Click here to visit the University of Washington Libraries guide.
- Question: How many bonus credit submissions can I make each week? Answer: You can submit one of each type of bonus credit assignment per week. Some weeks will have a single bonus credit opportunity. Other weeks may have more than one.
- Question: I still have questions. What should I do? Answer: Email Mr. Swart!