Class began with the ChemCatalyst from the Lesson 72 PowerPoint. With the lesson focusing on balancing chemical equations, we worked through the ChemCatalyst equation with a focus on differentiating coefficients and subscripts (slides 11 and 12). We used the remainder of the class period to practice balancing equations.
For day 2, students worked through the Balancing Chemical Equations Gizmo.
For students who would like additional instruction around balancing equations and enjoy learning by watching videos, I recommend Tyler DeWitt’s videos Introduction to Balancing Equations (above) and Balancing Chemical Equation Practice Problems (below):
- Read Lesson 72 in the textbook. Log in and enter your username and password:
- Username: full student gmail address.
- Password: HighlineMM/DD (student birthday, use leading zero if needed, i.e. March 7 = 03/07)
- Forgot your password? Click here to reset your password. Enter your student gmail address and follow the instructions.
- Work through the practice problems at the end of Lesson 72.
- Please ask questions about anything from Lesson 72 you do not yet fully understand.
Opportunities For Help Outside of Class:
- Mr. Swart’s office hours: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays after school until at least 3:00 (later with advanced notice)
- Use the vast number of resources available on this website – check each lesson!
- Email Mr. Swart for help if staying after school is not possible
- Form a study group with other students to review concepts from class
- Attend MASH after school (M/T/Th in Library)
- Attend Math Lab after school (T/Th)