Monday, February 3, 2020 (HS-LS3-1): We took notes on the structure of genes, including a review of how chromosomes are found in the nucleus of cells, how chromosomes consist of DNA coiled around histone proteins, and how genes consist of regulatory regions, exons, and introns.
Class concluded with the Crash Course video about heredity (below). We paused strategically to capture important vocabulary terms (diploid, haploid, somatic cells, gametes) which were added to our vocabulary list from Friday.
Wednesday, February 5, 2020: Today is a continuation of yesterday. Completed videos or slides depicting independent assortment and crossing over are due today. Students who finish early should begin working on the One Trait Mouse Genetics Gizmo.
Thursday, February 6, 2020: As we enter the final week of Unit 5: Inheritance and Meiosis, we turn our attention toward the process of reproduction. Class begins with a video which explains the process of human fertilization. After a brief class discussion about what was learned and what questions remain, students were assigned a reading from the textbook along with the questions below:
In the BSCS textbook, read “Making More People” (p.477-481)
- How many ova are found in the ovaries of a newborn baby?
- How many ova mature into healthy ova?
- Where and when do ova begin maturing?
- Where are mature ova fertilized by sperm?
- Where are sperm formed?
- How long does it take an individual sperm to develop?
- How do sperm obtain the energy to swim through the female reproductive tract?
- How and why does the male body regulate testicle temperature?
- Explain the difference between a zygote, an embryo, and a fetus.
- What determines when a woman is ready to begin labor?
Friday, February 7, 2020: Class will begin with a short quiz focusing on:
- Punnett Square vocabulary
- Mitosis and meiosis: similarities and differences
After the quiz, students will have the remainder of the class period to complete and turn in any remaining work from this week. Students who finish early should work on the single-trait Punnett Square Gizmo handed out last Friday.