We began class with an entry task in which students read Lesson 33 in the textbook and then recorded the definition of functional group and wrote a brief summary of the lesson in their Chapter 6 Notes. Students then copied the functional groups pictured below into their lab notebooks. Although we did not use it today, the Lesson 33 PowerPoint is provided here as a learning resource.
Students were then assigned to a Functional Group project team and began working on the Functional Group Project. Students have through the end of the class period tomorrow to research the various aspects of the functional group and create a poster which will be utilized by the class next Monday during the Chapter 6 test.
12/6 Update: After reviewing the initial set of posters, it was determined an additional round of revision was required to produce the best quality posters to be used on the test. Poster teams were provided with functional group posters from across my five chemistry classes and then used those posters and all other available resources to produce the best possible poster for their functional group. The winning poster from each functional group is shown below, with each member of the winning team receiving 10 bonus points on the test.
Students are encouraged to watch the video below and practice drawing structures:
- Read Lesson 33 in the textbook. Login via hs.saplinglearning.com and enter your username and password:
- Username: wahps****s-####### (**** = first 4 letters of your last name and ####### = student number). Remember to include the dash between s and #.
- Password: S-####### (the S must be capitalized)
- Write notes for Lesson 33 on the Chapter 6 Notes handout.
- Work through the practice problems at the end of Lesson 33.
- Please ask questions about anything from Lesson 33 you do not yet fully understand.