For our first lesson of Unit 2, students were asked to respond to the following entry task:
- What do you think is happening when you smell something?
- Why do you think we have a sense of smell?
After a class share-out, we worked through the Lesson 28 PowerPoint and then students all participated in an activity (guided by the Lesson 28 Worksheet) where they smelled five different scents and then compared their observations as a class. Based on the class results, students made connections between molecular formulas, chemical names, and scents (fishy, minty, or sweet). Remaining class time was used to read and summarize Lesson 28 from the textbook.
Extend Your Learning!
While not necessarily related to smells, students are encouraged to check out the NASA InSight Mars Landing feed starting at 11:30 this afternoon. InSight is scheduled to touch down on Mars at 11:47 AM PST (according to a recent article in Forbes). On-demand video recordings will be available after the landing completes.
- Read Lesson 28 in the textbook. Login via hs.saplinglearning.com and enter your username and password:
- Username: wahps****s-####### (**** = first 4 letters of your last name and ####### = student number). Remember to include the dash between s and #.
- Password: S-####### (the S must be capitalized)
- Write notes for Lesson 28 on the Chapter 6 Notes handout.
- Work through the practice problems at the end of Lesson 28.
- Please ask questions about anything from Lesson 28 you do not yet fully understand.