Class will begin with time for student questions about any of the content from lessons 1 and 2. Students will be reminded about the mini-quiz on Friday which will cover the class syllabus, lab safety (safety contract) and content from lessons 1-3. To best prepare for the mini-quiz, students should review all class notes, read the textbook, answer the homework questions at the end of each lesson, and review the homework answer keys. Notes are not allowed on mini-quizzes.
For lesson 3 today, students will write a response to the ChemCatalyst questions in the Lesson 03 PowerPoint. Students should leave class today able to share the definition of matter, and be able to differentiate between what is and is not matter. To achieve that learning, students will work in groups to complete the Lesson 03 Student Worksheet.
When finished, students will determine whether or not they have access to the Explore Learning website. Students will need an account in order to access the Gizmo activities beginning tomorrow. For students who need to create an account:
- Enter the class code (provided by Mr. Swart).
- Click the Enroll in Class button.
- Choose “I need to create…” option.
- Enter your First and Last name (not email!)
- Use your student numer (s-#######) as your username.
- Enter birthdate as password (MMDDYYYY)
- Click “Submit”
Extension: Is light a particle or a wave? The TED-Ed talk below will help us answer the question of whether light is matter or not matter. Watch the video and answer the question for yourself: is light a particle or a wave? Use evidence to support your claim!
Homework for this evening:
- Work through the homework problems at the end of Lesson 3 and then verify accuracy with the Lesson 03 Homework Answers.
- Read Lesson 4 in the textbook.
- Write notes for Lesson 4 on the Chapter 01 Notes handout.
- Come to class tomorrow prepared to ask questions about anything you read in lesson 4, or homework problems from lesson 3 you did not understand.
- Return signed copy of syllabus and safety contract (due no later than Friday).