For our final section of the year, we end our study of Ecology first by studying the biomes of Earth, and then constructing models of the biomes complete with students solving a human-made problem found within each biome.
For our first day of work, students will assemble into groups of three students each. Requirement: team members cannot have worked on a project together yet this year!
- Step 1: Come up with a team name
- Step 2: Select a unique color white board marker
- Step 3: Given the definition of biome (a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat, e.g., forest or tundra), race to list as many of Earth’s biomes as possible in two minutes
- Step 4: Describe the key features of each biome, including
- climate (the weather conditions prevailing in an area in general or over a long period)
- dominant vegetation (plants)
- Step 5: Select three biomes and research ecological disasters caused by humans. Be prepared to share with the class.
Notes from the white board: