As we enter the final week of Unit 5: Inheritance and Meiosis, we turn our attention toward the process of reproduction. Class begins with a video which explains the process of human fertilization. After a brief class discussion about what was learned and what questions remain, students were assigned a reading from the textbook along with the questions below:
In the BSCS textbook, read “Making More People” (p.477-481)
- How many ova are found in the ovaries of a newborn baby?
- How many ova mature into healthy ova?
- Where and when do ova begin maturing?
- Where are mature ova fertilized by sperm?
- Where are sperm formed?
- How long does it take an individual sperm to develop?
- How do sperm obtain the energy to swim through the female reproductive tract?
- How and why does the male body regulate testicle temperature?
- Explain the difference between a zygote, an embryo, and a fetus.
- What determines when a woman is ready to begin labor?
Turn in your response for credit and review the Reproductive Strategies Project assignment that we will formally begin as a class tomorrow.