For day 3 of the Egg Lab, students worked with their lab groups to complete the following:
- Gently rinse each egg to remove any last parts of the shell.
- Gently dry each egg.
- Measure the mass of each egg separately (in grams) using the balance.
- Each student in the group should record the mass of each egg in their lab notebook. A group of four students will each have four egg mass recordings in each lab notebook.
- Rinse out the cup and carefully dry it, being careful to make sure note which egg went with which cup. This matters! The cups are labeled with student names, and we need to keep track of the mass of each egg, so we need to know which egg belongs to which student.
- Return the egg to the correct cup.
- Carefully cover the egg with one of the following:
- Vinegar (egg #1)
- Corn syrup (egg #2)
- Distilled water (egg #3)
- Bonus liquid (egg #4)
- Cover the cup with plastic.
- Record any additional observations about the egg during the class period.
- Return the cup to the counter for further observation tomorrow.
For the remainder of the class period, students should work hard to complete missing biology assignments. We have an exam next Thursday, so students who are caught up on work, including last night’s homework, should begin assembling a page of notes to use on the exam.
For tonight’s homework, watch the video below and take notes! The video will reinforce the learning from October 12 (Membrane Movement lesson).