For today’s Gizmo activity, complete the following steps:
- Go to the Explore Learning website.
- Click the Login/Enroll button (upper right).
- Enter the class code (written on the white board).
- Click the Enroll in Class button.
- Choose “I need to create…” option.
- Enter your First and Last name (not email!)
- Use your student numer (s-#######) as your username.
- Enter birthdate as password (MMDDYYYY)
- Click “Submit”
- Launch the Cell Structure Gizmo
- Complete the Student Exploration worksheet
Lesson 12 from the textbook was introduced with a brief review of atomic number and atomic mass. Key learnings:
- Atomic number = # of protons in one atom of a given element
- Protons have a positive charge
- Electrons have a negative charge
- Neutral atoms have equal numbers of protons and electrons
- Atomic mass = (# of protons) + (# of neutrons) in one atom of a given element
- Neutrons have no charge
Students then worked in pairs to complete the Lesson 12 Worksheet. For homework, students were assigned Lesson 12 textbook questions 1-7 (page 60).
All students also received a copy of their progress report. Students should make every effort to catch up on missing work this weekend and take notes on chapters 1-3 in preparation for the quiz on Tuesday.